Thursday, March 24, 2005

When to say when


We had just confirmed that preschool's out until next week. And so I let my daughter play around the jungle gym for a few minutes, to compensate for the missed daily dose of physical activity(sometimes hyperactivity). With nowhere else to go, and with our stomachs calling out for lunch, I suggested eating out at Shakey's, since I have been craving for chicken, most especially mojos. I inordinately wanted to order our lunch for to-go because buffet really isn't my thing. But my hubby, out of the blue, demanded the buffet, which I initially thought would be the best thing to do because it usually takes forever to wait for our order. I then, reluctantly agreed to his obvious desire to once again gorge upon the endless array of food.

And there we were, looking for a comfortable spot to sit on, specifically somewhere without anyone else to bother on either sides, because we seriously need space for our daughter's(and every other 3-year-old) constant fidgets and restlessness after finishing a meal.

Inside the smorgasbord area, I inched my way towards the greasy yet irresistible display of their specialty. This was in no comparison to the one at Mirage Hotel, from our recent trip to Las Vegas. It was the mother of all buffets. Every imaginable kind and variety of food was there. Asian, American, Italian, they had crab legs, lobsters, filet mignon, sushi the list goes on. The cheesecake, cappuccino flan for dessert, is by the way to die for, if not to die from. Shakey's may not be as big as the Mirage but the concept is still relative.

Ok. I had spaghetti, chicken and of course the mojos, which my daughter and I shared. Being the small and short girl that I am, I get stuffed up very quickly, and I refuse to eat more than what my mind is telling me to do in order to maximize the dollars.

This is why I rarely go in all-you-can-eat establishments. In my opinion, this should only be done once in every six months or on very special occasions. It just felt wrong to eat after the gastro intestines has reached its limit, let alone the collective health complications to come 40 years from now. I then remembered one of the original deadly sins, Gluttony. Oh yes, it seems insignificant and not so deadly at all but should not be taken for granted.



“The belly, when it is not restrained, destroys the virtues of the soul,” “It is not food, but the desire for food that is the cause of damnation.”
-Gregory


Don't get me wrong, I'm not this super spiritual buff and I am in no place to judge anyone and their eating habits. Everyone eats for many different reasons along with ranging amounts. To overindulge is what we all must be aware of.

After forkfuls of spaghetti and a few bites of chicken, even a little innocent girl knows when she's had enough. "Mom, I'm full!” She says as she hops down the bench, and unfailingly frolics around the table to entertain us and herself.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home