Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Spring Semester Begins


Endless lines, students hustling in and out of classrooms, not to mention the bookstore, jammed parking lots were the signs of the start of spring semester. Yup. Another semester has begun once again as I made my way to my Psychology class. Initially I had a hard time looking for my classroom, which happened to be all the way down the Automative/Welding/Carpetry Department. I have always been anxious to walk that part of the building. Gives me the creeps. Anyway, I found a couple of students who were as lost as I was and finally found our way into class.



And there was Mr. Chambers, looking a bit scruffy and tousled. He admittedly said that him teaching in the mornings was a total drag and would have preferred starting class at 3pm. His awkwardness made it obvious that he was a novice in our college. But then he turned out to be quite the comedian. He made jokes, as he said, to fill in the gap, hoping time will pass without us noticing that he had nothing to teach, as of yet. He was called in the last minute because our supposed professor could not teach anymore for reasons with held from us. He then asked each one their majors and called out the roll.



The students were passing jokes and playful insults but then he continued on with his nonchalant way of teaching. He pojected a friendly student-teacher realtionship, which was good, for a change. It helps a lot to relieve that tension I often have with instructors. We don't have quizzes, only midterm and final. That's about it. The reason why he didn't want us to write any papers, is because he knew that majority of the class were taking his course mainly for pre-requisite purposes only. He didn't want to force those who aren't really interested in it. Well, he's right. But we should still get our money's worth from all the expensive books and of course the time and effort we have spent. And besides, I happen to like Pychology not only because I've taken it as a major way back in 2000 but I like exploring how the mind works. I hope he could pick up the pace as the rest of the semester eventually unfold.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home