Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Here fishy, fishy

As a young girl I was taught the basic chores by my mom. I wasn't very fond of it, but who was anyway, but as a mother I realized that my mom was and is always right. The things she was trying to teach us will greatly be used when starting your own family. I vividly recall when she tried to teach my how to clean a fish, which I detested, not only because it was way too hard or should I say challenging (palusot pa), but it stinks. Before getting into the insides of the fish, a certain cut must be applied/performed to get the gut out. I would get little stabs on my fingers because of all the bones, fins and all the sharp parts there is on my way. But that was nothing compared to the fishy smell that would linger for quite awhile on your hands. And so I stubbornly rejected this particular chore and told myself I would never be caught cleaning a fish.

You see, mother may not always be right, you know. Markets here in the U.S. conveniently does all the work for ya! All you have to do is say the magic word....Clean and cut please! And voila! Ready to cook and serve as you please. No more smelly hands and gut infested trash which by the way is a stink bomb.

How in the world did I come up with this post? I was craving for Miso dish. I don't know if you're familiar with it coz I wasn't too until I tasted it in my aunt's resto here in U.S. Yup, I got to taste it here, not in the Philippines(wonder why? I guess my mom doesn't cook that much either..hehe it runs in the family). It's almost like sinigang but with fish(bangus/milkfish) instead. They have the instant Knorr mix, so basically all I have to do is boil water. So there you go, I gave out another personal thing about myself, too lazy to cook.