Saturday, June 10, 2006

On Rumors, Penguins and a Geisha

Unfortunately I do not own any of these dvds as of yet. We chose to rent because it sucks to wait for it to be on sale if you already know it is worth watching plus intriguing. With Jennifer Aniston's movie, I stumbled upon it by chance when the video guy saved it for me so sure that I would like it. Well, he knows what women wants, in movies that is.

March of the Penguins
Gosh, I don't know how to express my utter amazement and awe on these seemingly odd creatures. Coz as we all know, animals, don't really have a very hard time reproducing. They find a random mate then after several months an offspring is created. It's not very complicated, it's strictly business to these guys, you can't blame them, it's instincts. Penguins as I have just learned, go through so much hardships and trials all for the sake of reproduction. It's intriguing because during that one year process of finding a mate, reproducing, and caring for their young, they resemble us human beings in the most astonishing way. You really have to see the movie to believe it. I never knew anything like that existed until this. It's just amazing.

Memoirs of a Geisha
I didn't get the chance to read the book but I hope I get to do it someday. Wow! I'm so glad I wasn't born in Japan during those times. It sucks to be a GEISHA! It sucks not to have a choice to run your OWN life. It sucks to be under the control and mercy of MEN! It sucks to be treated like a possession and seen only as an entertainer or an artist so as to earn a MAN's affection or approval. Geez...talk about gender discrimination. But one thing that didn't suck, is this movie. After 2 hours or so of heart-wrenching depiction of what women went through during this time period and may be even today is sensational.

Rumor Has It
I never really thought much about this movie since it didn't create buzz on its opening day inspite of the big stars. Once again, the unexpected delight and amusement out of a movie that you didn't think would make an impact was nice. Although I didn't seem to see any chemistry between Aniston and Ruffalo, I don't know may be it was meant to be that way since she was supposedly having cold feet on their engagement. There was also too many reference about Pasadena, Sarah, Jennifer Aniston's character's hometown. The shots were very familiar to me. It is not very far from where I'm at, in fact, it's one of the places we see frequently and go to. One thing though, I wish I had a grandma like Shirley Mclaine's character. She's cool, free-spirited, crazy and gorgeous. Yup, she still has it.

Ok. make it a point to watch these or at least the first two because it's well worth it. Have a great weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home